Chicken and Rice Bake
As cooked by Laurie. Modified and somewhat simplified from the recipe at thekitchn.com
This is such a simple recipe that Laurie first found on thekitchn.com. It was designed as a make-ahead, freeze, and cook-later recipe, which she adapted into a assemble-today, cook-today, and eat-today recipe.
The first recipe was made in the wonderful old pyrex casserole dish shown above, that has been passed down in our family since probably circa 1950's. The directions below show a 13x19" enamel pan. I'm thinking I'm kind of liking the presentation of the old glass dish better. YMMV.
Mix rice and spices
Mix veggies and rice in the pan. Add the chicken stock
marinated chicken placed on top
Served with spiralized butternut squash
Served with bok choy
Chicken and Wild Rice Bake
What you need:
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 small onion ought to do it)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (suggestion below)
- 1 rib chopped celery
- 2 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs, 4 pieces (see suggestion below)
- 1/2 cup vinaigrette (see suggestion below)
- 2 cups uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 2 Tbs wild rice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
What to do:
instructions at thekitchn.com, here
Laurie's modifications and suggestions:
- Button mushroom instead of slice whole mushrooms look really nice.
- Because there is a lot of rice here, perhaps 6 thighs would be better
- Try Paul Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar salad dressing for a marinate for any chicken recipe. Here it replaced the vinaigrette.